Parkyn's Hut History by Howard Parkyn
Formerly, Parkyn Hut stood as a miner's hut in the Monkland District of Gympie and was transported by bullock team to Tewantin in c.1920-1921 by owner Jack Hart, a builder, to his property which then comprised the half block bounded by Pelican Street and Poinciana Avenue, approximately at the rear of where the Post Office stands today.
The original construction of the Hut was typical of the time with an iron roof and skillion and heavy hardwood walls which were oiled rather than painted.
In 1938 Mr Hart sold land (and the hut as a shed) to the Parkyn family for their house block and the following year the Hut was moved a short distance to a new site on their property and a kitchenette was added.
From 1939 to 1941 the boot cobbling and odd jobs man, Mr Jack Heirdsfield, a WWI veteran, was occupied with improvements of shower and septic being undertaken. Following his marriage and vacation of the Hut, the Parkyns used it as guest accommodation for their numerous visitors, who flocked to Pelican Street, Tewantin enticed by the generosity of Howard and Iris Parkyn and the proximity of the Noosa river with its fishing and boating allurements.
After 60 years of ownership the Parkyn family sold the land and Hut in 1999 to make way for RSL car parking space.
Subsequently, the RSL donated the Hut to the Tewantin Heritage and Historical Society and in 2001 it was renovated and moved to its current location utilising both Council resources and a funding grant from the Centenary of Federation Celebrations.